Friday, November 13, 2009

Back from dinner out

     Ahh, it was nice to have dinner out this evening. Dad kept the boys for us; they had pizza. We got to eat a grown-up meal with drinks served in glass glasses. Wow. I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to play dress-up. I actually put on make-up today. Now THAT rarely happens.
     My headache finally went away, thanks to pharmaceutical drugs. Perhaps if I'd eaten more than two cookies throughout the day, I wouldn't have gotten the headache to begin with. (sigh)
     Can you see my living room? It looks like a tornado hit it. There are tiny little green army men all over the floor, and my coffee table. The pillows from the couch are scattered on the floor and the laundry that I should have folded this morning, rests comfortably on the love-seat. Let's not forget the dog and all of her toys; which are also scattered about. My desk is piled with papers and old mail. I really need to get organized but since I'm a procrastinator I'll just do that tomorrow.
     When we came in the door this evening, the boys jumped out of bed and ran to me to give me hugs and kisses. Bedtime has always been my favorite time of the day. No, really. Not just because the kids are out of the way either. More so because things are winding down, the boys aren't so rambunctious, and we get to spend a little bit of  quality time together. We always have prayers, and sometimes a story. I find great peace in knowing that my boys are asleep in their own beds at night, in their own room, in their own house. It doesn't really matter if the room is a mess. Nah, it doesn't matter if Ben has colored all over the walls and put stickers on his dresser. It doesn't matter if there are legos in every nook. What matters is that my boys are safe and sound, sleeping sweetly in the comfort of their own room. I never have liked for them to have sleep-overs. If it was with my parents, it was ok; but that has ended now and ... please. Don't get me started. It has just always been important to me, for my children to be at home at bedtime. Their home should  be a place of refuge, and their bedroom a restful place to sleep. Sometimes Ben sleeps so hard that he doesn't even wake up when he falls out of the bed. I hear a thud sometimes, and get up because I know what the sound is. I go pick him up and put him back in his bed, and he never wakes. It'd help if he didn't have 20 stuffed animals in his bed but he thinks he has to have them ALL. He has to have "Beary" the green teddy bear and he has to have his puppy, and let's not forget the blue snake that Bubba won him at Six Flags. Sometimes when we go in to have prayers with the boys, if I plop down on the end of Ben's bed, I land on a Star Wars Storm Trooper. Of course, when I pull him out to toss him onto the floor, Ben insists he needs him to sleep on the bed, too.  No wonder he falls out of the bed so often, he sleeps with people from another galaxy! Thanks Mr. George Lucas, you've made my sons life complete. I'm currently breathing like Darth Vader, and I can do a really good impression, just in case you were wondering.
     Well, off to bed I go. My rear is getting numb from sitting in this position for so long. Of course it probably didn't help that I am also sitting on that neat little pile of laundry I told you about. "Lord, I need a maid. Could you get me one? Oh, and, she needs to be really good, and really cheap. Thanks, God. I knew you'd have my back."

No comments:

Post a Comment